Medical Radiation Injury in Atlanta
Types of Radiation Injuries
Radiation is used by medicine to diagnose and treat some diseases. When used properly it can help to save lives. It requires skill and an understanding of the dangers to ensure that you are safe from harm. Unskilled technicians or faulty equipment can result in overexposure to radiation. Failing to monitor the amount of radiation a patient is receiving can lead to excessive exposure. When this happens, an Atlanta medical malpractice attorney from our firm should be consulted as soon as possible.
The harmful effects of overexposure to radiation include:
- Nausea and Vomiting: If you begin to vomit within one hour of exposure to radiation you were probably overexposed and you should seek medical help immediately.
- Headaches, Weakness and Fatigue: Radiation can cause anemia from blood cell loss.
- Hair Loss: Radiation can damage the hair follicles, which can result in hair loss.
- Erythema: This looks like sunburn of the skin. The skin takes on the reddish color like it does when overexposed to sunlight. Radiation reaches deeper tissues than sunburn.
- Radio Dermatitis: This is a skin condition that appears dry and flaky and does not easily heal. The ulcerations can become infected or cancerous. Sores can often appear around the mouth and along the digestive tract.
- Cataracts: Cataracts are a clouding of the lens of the eye or the membrane. This effect normally would occur a long time after exposure.
- Cancer: While the causes of cancer are still not known, it has been confirmed that overexposure to radiation increases the risk of cancer.
Defending Injured Clients in Atlanta, GA
Americans are exposed to more medical radiation than anywhere else in the world. If a medical practitioner has exposed you to excessive levels of radiation, we would like to help you with your medical malpractice case. If a loved one has died from overexposure to radiation, we can help you begin your
wrongful death case. As an experienced and effective law firm dedicated to helping those who have been harmed by negligent and incompetent health care personnel, we encourage you to call our office and speak with one of our compassionate staff about your concerns.
Contact an Atlanta medical radiation lawyer at The Tolson Firm, LLC today to discuss your case.